Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(08-16-2020, 07:21 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: Check the following article:  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2019/03/21/its-not-just-you-new-data-shows-more-than-half-young-people-america-dont-have-romantic-partner/

Young people just don't get any anymore.  I don't know if they are too risk averse, can't handle rejection, or what. Maybe the young guys are scared of trying to pick up women, so they take it out on small business owners.  I don't know.  

When I came of age in the 90's, this was all we cared about as teenagers.  "Where is the party, whose getting the beer and weed, and whose going to invite the chicks?"  We didn't give a sh1t about social justice or climate change.  

I am glad I am 41 right now instead of 14, that's for sure. 

I grew up in and around whatever excuse there was for a punk rock scene in the Greater Cincinnati area.  We went to shows, clubs, and parties where we'd run into truly radical (or so they believed) characters.  Most of us were pretty left-wing people, but the people I'm talking about just had a different air about themselves.  They were extremely judgy and militant about their sense of what was acceptable in the "scene" or in political discourse.  They were, at times violent, and the potential was always there.  Here's the thing though: even in that environment, these people stood out as being a little or a lot "off".  Just something in their eyes and the way they carried themselves.  One of them got on me for something dumb, like eating meat or wearing the wrong shoes outside a club once, and my response to his disdain was to tell him that if I wanted a book of strict rules to follow, I'd have joined an evangelical youth group.  He didn't like that much.

The people I talk about here are the same ones I imagine are out in the streets.  Misguided, lost, no direction.  Not even able to allow themselves to have fun.  Their cause/politics are their identity because it's all they see themselves as.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - samhain - 08-16-2020, 08:23 PM