Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(08-28-2020, 09:49 PM)jason Wrote: I wasn't around then, and I'm not sure you were either, but don't you suppose it was "easier" to live here during the post war baby boom? Families thrived with 1 income... The American people are not better off now than they were then. I get why people wanna go back to that or whatever, but it's not happening... In the USA anyway.

Of course I'm excluding certain groups who most certainly didn't have it better back then.

I mean there were certain isolated pockets in the history of the US were it might have been better, like from 1950 to 1965. But that is 15 years out of 250.  If I had to roll the dice and be born in a random time slot in the history of the US, then I would hold what I got and choose the life I have now, for sure.  That's not to even mention the rest of the world that I could have been born in.

Also, that 15 years of post war baby boom greatness was paid for by the sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of American lives.  This country has in large part been living off of the steam of that generation's accomplishments for some time now.  With each passing year that greatest generation becomes more and more gone forever.

*As far as thriving off of one income, I think people were much happier with less in those days.  Most houses had one car and one TV, that was it.

We have:  4 smart phones, 4 TV's, 3 cars, satellite, 5 laptops, internet bills, I lost count of how many video game systems, etc.  We also eat out a lot more than they did back then too.

If families (mine included) were willing to live the "good life of the 50's" then we might be able to get by on one income. Then again, a lot of those technology bills are made essential by jobs too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Von Cichlid - 08-28-2020, 11:29 PM