Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longmont valedictorian silenced over speech disclosing he was gay
(05-31-2015, 01:14 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: In addressing the actual topic of the thread, I will say it probably wasn't the best place to "come out".  As others have stated it's not just about "you", the commencement speech is for everyone. However that being said it could've been handled better by the principle and staff.

In fact I think it would've been better if people already knew he was openly gay, and then proceeded to give a great speech as their valedictorian without any reference to his sexual orientation.  I think that would've been more powerful for him and his classmates.

Could've been handled better by staff though.
Answering your question in bold here /\/\/\
(05-31-2015, 02:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote:
Quote:Why do I always get asked questions, instead of receiving answers?
Alright then, no questions, comparing homosexuality with incest is ridiculous.

Quote:We are comparing the 2 to inquire is it OK for a speaker to expound on his or her sexual practices, beliefs, feelings, compulsions, (whatever term is OK that I use). 
My answer above would address this as well.

Quote:I'm not sure the fact that there are no groups promoting incest is relevant. 
Anything having to do with incest in this conversation irrelevant.

Quote:Let me try again: Would it be appropriate for him to expound on his sexual feelings toward classmates of the opposite gender in his farewell speech? 
Answered above.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Longmont valedictorian silenced over speech disclosing he was gay - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 05-31-2015, 02:22 PM