Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut
(09-15-2020, 02:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I like the national anthem. 
I'm a bit more skeptical of the pledge of allegiance, especially its use in elementary school.

I remember when I was a child, I was taught the pledge...but I had no idea what it meant. It was just something that was drilled into my mind out of necessity. If you refused to say it, you were sent to the principal's office. Thinking back to that time, it was very unusual behavior to have children recite a pledge of loyalty to their country before they even understood anything at all about politics. Getting people, especially children, to memorize and recite something they don't understand, especially something like a pledge of loyalty, every single day for years at a time is kind of creepy if you think about it. Could easily be mistaken for indoctrination.

It's kind of funny thinking of what I thought I was saying when I recited that pledge. "And to the Republic" I thought of the library, because it was the only other thing I knew that used the word "public." 
"For which it stands" I pictured a witch standing over her cauldron. 
"Indivisible" I thought of Invisible Woman. 

Very odd behavior.

For shirts or hats, those aren't allowed in the office in general, so they'd be a no. Button down shirts only.

I think Antifa is still considered a bit taboo, but BLM is widely accepted now. There's no stigma there anymore. I don't know what you're referring to about rapists or socks, but if I wanted to voice my support for justice in regards to the extrajudicial shooting of Jacob Blake, I doubt anyone would have an issue with it.

Obviously, these things are different across different offices. I heard there was a teacher who was put on leave for having BLM mottos in their virtual classroom down in a city in Texas. So I wouldn't be surprised if the redder the state, the less open work spaces would be to progressive causes.

As far as the people who think it's BS, I would implore them to live their truth. Don't do anything you don't believe in. And don't let anyone force you to say or do something you don't agree with.

I went to a catholic school so it was years of prayers and pledge and Jesus this and jerhico that.  Oh and then I went to college where my feeble mind was apparently indoctrinated for the first time.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - Luvnit2 - 09-11-2020, 07:13 PM
RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - CJD - 09-15-2020, 01:27 PM
RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - CJD - 09-15-2020, 01:46 PM
RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - CJD - 09-15-2020, 02:18 PM
RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - Nately120 - 09-15-2020, 02:30 PM
RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - CJD - 09-15-2020, 03:54 PM
RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - CJD - 09-15-2020, 07:02 PM
RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - CJD - 09-16-2020, 09:01 AM
RE: TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut - CJD - 09-15-2020, 04:06 PM