Poll: Are you in favor of stacking the Supreme Court?
Yes
No
Something about Abraham Lincoln
All of Trump's judicial nominations are white!
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you in favor of stacking the Supreme Court?
(10-14-2020, 12:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What's stopping them now, or in 2016 rather, is that it's a huge move to make.  As I said the idea of it is wildly unpopular unless you are a far left type.  Ginsberg herself stated it was an absolutely horrible idea and would irreversibly destroy the SCOTUS as an institution

32% are in favor of expanding the court according to some ABC poll I found, so yes it is unpopular with around 2/3 of people. But so is ramming the current nomination through, which didn't stop republicans from doing it. Things being unpopular seems to never stop them really.

(10-14-2020, 12:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: With respect, you're not American nor do you reside in the US, so I think you're grossly underestimating the likely impact of this.  This is a huge deal.  Look at the poll results here, only one person (the last time I checked) actually voted in favor of this and their posts don't inspire confidence in their being a rational non-partisan actor. The no votes cross a wide political spectrum.  The perception of this move would be a borderline coup. 

I get that a non-partisan US resident would probably not be in favor of this. I concede it's unpopular, I also concede that I might very well underestimate the impact. (Because, sure, I indeed live far away and have little real idea.) As of now though, there's only one person (you) who expressed a belief that the union might not survive that and the result might be a civil war. And so that to me might just be overestimating the impact. I'd figure many, even the angry ones, would get that this would still be a 6-5 republican court, and that the constitution was not broken, which imho is not akin to a coup.
Bels, for example, is quite the rational actor, and him being somewhat torn on that issue goes a long way for me to think it might not be just that catastrophic.

I also think it is a virtual debate and this will not really happen anyway. For Democrats, the way I got to know them, are quite wary not to do anything unpopular. Which at times I consider a mistake. Maybe not in this case, as you crorectly pointed out I am not in a position to know.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you in favor of stacking the Supreme Court? - hollodero - 10-14-2020, 01:37 PM