Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasting cap space on certain veterans
(10-19-2020, 05:31 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It varies from player to player.  

Yes, I know that.

I don't think we are quite understanding each other, so let me try to make my question more clear using an example...

Per Spotrac, Geno Atkins has a cap hit this year of $14.2 mill if he is here through the whole year.
His dead cap, if released, is $7.8 mill.

What I am asking is given the fact there are 10 games remaining...
1) What has he been paid to date this year?
2) What remaining guaranteed money is he still owed that would result in dead cap if released?
3) What, if any, cap savings would the Bengals be able to get this year from cutting him?

I'm to assume he's received $2.6 mill signing bonus, $200k roster bonus, $300k workout bonus. That would be $3.1 mill in bonuses.
Atkins's base salary this year is $11.1 mill.
His base salary is split out per week, so he would make $653k per week

If so, he'd be due $7.18 mill the rest of this year if he played his contract out.
He's already received $7.017 mill this season from bonuses + 6 games.

His remaining dead cap should only be the rest of his signing bonus, which is $5.2 mill, right?
As such, if he's released today, the Bengals would actually have a savings of $1.817 mill this year and also no dead cap hit to 2021 or 2022 because his dead cap would have been paid out this season.

EDIT - Adjusted base pay to reflect its divided by 17 (all games plus bye week), not 16 (just games)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wasting cap space on certain veterans - ochocincos - 10-19-2020, 05:43 PM