Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Reason Why the Bengals Might Not be Patient (Stadium Deal)
Fwiw, I always thought the credit Taylor gets for Jared Goff is greatly overstated.

There's a few things that I think influence an increase in the QB's play, much more than his position coach:

1.) Experience
2.) Talent around them
3.) Play-calling

Jared Goff was already coming off a 100.5 QB rating before Zac Taylor took over as his postion coach. The year he had Taylor he increased to 101.5. That's not that big of a difference.

He threw 4 more TD's under Taylor than the year prior, but he also threw 5 more picks. He threw for more yards, but he threw the ball 84 more times. The entirety of this stat line can be easily explained by an increase sheer volume.

Jared Goff was a former #1 overall pick going into his 3rd year when Taylor took over as QB. Players going into their 2nd, 3rd, etc. tend to get improve on experience alone. That's why Jared Goff looked much better in year 2 than he did in year 1. And I think the same can be said for year 3.

What really happened is the kid got another year under his belt, his team was stacked with weapons, and he had a super agressive OC in Sean McVay, who took over playcalling in 2018 when Matt Lefleur left.

I really doubt Zac Taylor had that much to do with their success. The development was minimal in terms of his rating, and the success of the offense can be explained by much of the above.

Unless he was calling plays, I put little to no stock in his resume from his time there. He was working on mechanics and basics with an uber-talent QB, that had been coached on them his entire life. Outside of that, what did he really do? What are his accomplishents?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reason Why the Bengals Might Not be Patient (Stadium Deal) - Wes Mantooth - 10-22-2020, 01:59 PM