Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(10-27-2020, 05:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know how you define "support", but your anecdotal evidence regarding the people you work with proves nothing.  This is a common  theme with you.  You ignore every scientific study I post and instead cite "my black friends".  But a 2019 Pew study found that 59% of black men claim they have been unfairly stopped by police due to their race.  A 2017 study by NPR found that 60% of African Americans say that they or their family members have been stopped or treated unfairly by police due to their race.

You also act like all black/minority officers agree with you when that is nto true at all

Actually no, that's what you did.  I said a more support the police than do not.  By definition this statement precludes a logical interpretation of "all blacks".

Quote:https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-police-see-issues-of-race-and-policing/

Not a biased site at all, thank you.

Quote:black officers tend to have somewhat different views from white officers.7 For example, 69 percent of black officers said the protests against policing tactics reflected some genuine desire to hold the police accountable, compared with just 27 percent of white officers. And a majority of black officers (57 percent) said that the deadly encounters between black people and the police were part of a broader pattern — a view shared by only 27 percent of white officers. 

Most black officers — 69 percent — thought that America needed to make more changes for black Americans to have equal rights, putting the black officers fairly close to black Americans overall (84 percent per the Pew poll). White officers (6 percent) were much less likely to hold this view. According to LeCount’s research, the views of black officers on questions of both policing and broader racial issues in America were not much different from those of black Americans overall.

If we took these figures as gospel truth it doesn't change my position.  You can think improvements need to be made while still supporting law enforcement.  Is not a huge topic at the moment, changing the SCOTUS?  Well, if you think it should be changed then, by your logic, you cannot support it.

Quote:Why not use a taser on a person with a knife instead of just killing him with a gun.  I thought the whole purpose of tasers was to use when force was necessary but avoiding killing people when possible.

Bel already posted a video explaining this in this very thread.  Watch it and get back to me.

Quote:It is not a "bullshit narrative" when it is based on facts. It is a fact that police treat minorities differently from white people.  It is a fact that most black people know it happens.  That was not created by the media.  that was created by their experiences with racial profiling from law enforcement. 

No, some LEO's do.  Your penchant for sweeping generalizations is a hindrance to your making a consistent argument.  Everyone knows it happens, but that doesn't excuse the current narrative or the behavior it has enabled.

Quote:Why should I believe your personal opinion which is not based on any facts when I have the facts here in front of me?

Polls are not indisputable facts.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 10-27-2020, 05:27 PM