Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good info into the Dunlap saga
(10-29-2020, 05:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I didn't quite follow that part of the story.

They said they had an offer in place to ship him to the Lions, but Carlos didn't want to go there.  Well, who cares what he wants?  This guy is going to demand to be let go or traded, to the point of putting his house up for sale on Twitter, and he gets to pick where he ends up?

F' that.  You send him wherever you get the best return.  We're not running the Make a Wish Foundation here.

On the 5 mil... I could be wrong, but I think Carlos offered to forfeit the remaining 5 mil if he were released, which lines up with what he had left on his deal last week.  It was fully guaranteed, so he would have gotten paid regardless of whether or not he was here.  So I think he was just forfeiting his guarantees to facilitate a release.

Now, if he paid them 5 mil to be traded?  I don't even know if that's allowed.  His remaining base salary is now off the books, and transfers to Seattle.  He'd essentially be giving back base earnings from weeks 1-7.  If he did do that, we definitely don't get that cap space back.  And I would think the league would frown upon owners take cash payments from players to get rid of them.  It's almost like extortion on our part.

This whole thing is just absolutely nuts.  Only with this team and family do fans spend their time speculating such wild things.

Paul Dehner with why he thought Mike didn't want to trade Carlos:

'Mike Brown didn’t want it to come to this. Of course he didn’t. Brown holds an affection for Dunlap and in all the years covering the team, I think I’ve seen Dunlap sitting in Brown’s cart talking to the owner during practice more than any other player. Dunlap’s an outgoing guy and two-time Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee for the Bengals, Brown rewarded him with not one, but two lucrative extensions, so this makes sense. There was a long-standing relationship.'

'The impossible circumstances forced ownership’s hand as it came down to picking between the core message of the head coach they have invested in for their future or siding with the aging former star, who would inevitably be gone after the season.'

'This would have been a no-brainer that happened long ago for most teams. Happened long before any Instagram Live chip-eating sessions or Zoom blowups after seeing his demotion on a whiteboard.'
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Good info into the Dunlap saga - Tony - 10-29-2020, 04:48 PM
RE: Good info into the Dunlap saga - JSR18 - 10-29-2020, 02:42 PM
RE: Good info into the Dunlap saga - Tony - 10-29-2020, 03:03 PM
RE: Good info into the Dunlap saga - Tony - 10-29-2020, 04:50 PM
RE: Good info into the Dunlap saga - J24 - 10-30-2020, 12:13 PM
RE: Good info into the Dunlap saga - jj22 - 10-29-2020, 05:33 PM
RE: Good info into the Dunlap saga - jj22 - 10-29-2020, 05:41 PM
RE: Good info into the Dunlap saga - Bengalholic - 10-29-2020, 06:03 PM