Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have we learned in the past few weeks?
(12-28-2020, 12:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Don't forget we still has Uzomah who had 8 receptions in 1 and a half games this season, including Joe's first career passing TD, which was a pretty route.

I just don't think TE is going to be a priority, especially not with our top 5/10 pick. I know Pitts is considered an elite TE prospect but I still think there is value at the slot in bigger positions of need like Slater at OT, Chase at WR (assuming we let Ross and Green go) or Surtain at CB, assuming we let WJ3 walk. I'm sure there are some elite pass rushers available that we desperately need as well.

I too see the priority should be to make upgrades on the line first. Maybe Sewell will be there wherever the Bengals land in the draft.  If not,  then getting Slater would be fine by me.  I would like to upgrade the guard position in FA so that both Spain and XSF can be used as solid backups.  If the top tackles are gone,  I'd go Chase, Parsons, and Rousseau or Chase, Rousseau and Parsons in that order.  I would sign WJ because he's a decent to pretty good #1 CB. I'd rather keep him than gamble on a first round CB no matter how highly rated. We know the draft is a crapshoot, so is rather keep WJ than loose him and be in a position to fill a position when there are other poitions that need are bigger priorities. Even though I have preferences for which players to take,  ultimately even the best scouts have lots of misses,  so I just hope whoever the Bengals pick will become a great player regardless of my opinion based on reading draft experts. There have been enough times that the Bengals passed on a player we wanted, and three years later he amounted to nothing. Or the opposite. But one thing within their control is spending reasonably and getting/ keeping good players at positions of need through FA, and this where I would hold them accountable. Hopefully we sign Lawson,  WJ and Thuney and maybe a second tier guard,  and go defense heavy in the draft as long as they get a first or second round Tackle (or Chase or a speedy receiver in the second round depending on Tackle availability in the first round).

Of course they may not be able to pull off all of the above depending on cap space and the cost of internal and external FA, and how the draft shakes out,  but if we get say four of the following I'd be very happy with the FO:

Sign Thuney or Scherf
Sign Lawson
Sign WJ
Sign Second tier OG
Get Sewell or Slater or Chase or Rousseau or Parsons
Get 2nd round OT or WR  or DE (based on what happened in first round), go defense heavy rest of the draft and maybe get a speed receiver if you haven't got one yet. 

Do those and hope you hit on your draft picks.  But JB will be protected by prioritizing OL in FA, and the rest I'm willing to leave up to hope. Whether we hit on WR or defensive picks, or not,  we would be helping JB improve which means the offense will put up points and they win some games simply from that.  If our defense becomes better,  then that's icing on the cake and maybe we contend for a playoff spot. Either way,  the year after that we can shore up more holes through draft/FA and really behind a contender. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have we learned in the past few weeks? - masterpanthera_t - 12-28-2020, 12:58 AM