Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have we learned in the past few weeks?
(12-27-2020, 11:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The biggest, most obvious thing to me is that in spite of some speculation, the team has not quit on the coaching staff.  Perhaps a little heat from media and personalities on social media may have inspired some rethinking on the part of the staff, or not.  Whatever the case, weather it be a collective gathering of professional pride on part of the players, or the coaching staff taking an introspective look and making some necessary changes, it seems to be working.

I'm sure that it must be reassuring to Joe Burrow to see the team double down and solidify their resolve while he is rehabbing.  Some may call these latest two wins "meaningless", but I guarantee that they mean a hell of a lot to every man who wears the striped helmet.  How nice will it be to get Joe back, and have a team that believes in itself for Joe to come back to?

What I think I know:

Brandon Allen deserves a secure deal to remain as Joe's backup going forward.

With XSF at LG and Spain at RG, the interior of the OL has seemed to stop the bleeding.  Teams can no longer pass rush up the gut at will, and we seem to be getting better push in the run game.  I hope that they sign Spain to a 3 year deal, and keep him around until the next permanent Guard of the future is drafted and properly developed.  I still think they need a bona fide stud at Tackle, either to pair with Williams, or assume his spot should he never achieve full greatness.  Missing 75% of his games due to injury in his first two years is a bit concerning to me.  That is partly why I have been such a die hard on the Penei Sewell bandwagon.

Our backup RBs are pretty good.  We all knew what Gio Bernard was capable of, when used properly.  Samaje Perine has shown to be worth keeping around, as well.  Not the quickest out of the gate, but dude has a second gear when in open territory.  Given a crease, those massive thighs just keep churning, not bad hands either.

Tee Higgins is for real, he will be a modest to medium star in this league. Boyd is going to continue to be Boyd: steady, dependable, not one for the defense to sleep on.  AJ Green looked like absolute dog shit to start the year.  However, in the past month or so, he's gotten his rhythm back on, and is looking much like his old self.  Part of me would like to see him signed to a modest 3 year deal, and retire as a Bengal.  (He may be looking for one last huge payday)  After that, WR gets a bit murky.  Erickson looked clutch a few times today, but typically he's a non factor.  Would like to see an over the top, role player WR signed in free agency, while a mid round pick is drafted and developed to complete the game day 5.

Drew Sample is NOT a bum, and he indeed CAN find the end zone, as was proven today.  Ninja   Yes, we need another TE, NO I don't feel like we need to take Kyle Pitts with our top pick.  This team doesn't utilize the TE position nearly enough to justify ignoring fundamental position group NEEDS in favor of a shiny, new weapon.

On defense:

Too much to cram into this post.  We can discuss that one in another thread.

1. This team is finally having a idea on how to finish games

2.Brandon Allen I hope is the backup next year. But Im sure a few qb needy teams took notice of his game vs the Texans

3.XSF and Spain are a reason why the running game is 
Moving the chains and the QB isnt on the ground as much
I would still sign a FA OG and draft one.
But MJ and Redmond have no reason to be on this roster 
In 2021

4.OT needs to be the 1st pick in 2021. Trade up if you have to secure Sewell

5.Perrine looked like Marshawn Lunch at times vs the Texans
I dont cut Gio.hes a pro's pro.
A healthy Mixon gives this team a nice 3-headed monster at RB.
Ask the Ravens and Browns how thats turning out

6.I agree with WR assessment

7.TE is a bigger need than many believe.Sample is more run blocker than downfield threat. Uzomah is a fine #2 TE.
But this,offense needs a TE that can scare DC and is a match up problem. Burrow manipulates the middle of the field as,well as,any QB. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have we learned in the past few weeks? - impactplaya - 12-28-2020, 12:41 PM