Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have we learned in the past few weeks?
(12-28-2020, 12:31 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: TE is definately on my list of needs.

On offense, WR, TE, G, T (although Hart is ok. Not good.)

On defense, defensive line. CB if Jackson leaves. Can always use a good lb, but may as well give these guys another year.

CB is a need even if Jackson stays. This thread is about lessons learnt and surely one of the biggest lessons learnt is the need for depth. We saw what happened repeatedly whenever LeShaun Sims came in. I reckon Sims has played more than half of the snaps this year and two of the players above him in the depth chart are out contract (WJIII and Alexander) and far from certain to stay. I know CB was hit injury wise but that's football. I wouldn't want to be relying on Phillips and a man who's been out all year with a pectoral injury that was only supposed to keep him out 2 months to stay fit.

If they re-sign Jackson that maybe takes CB out of the equation for the first two picks but 3rd round onwards it is very much in play.

Finding another Phillips in the 5th round would be very nice. They should also be looking to pair that day 2 or 3 pick at CB with a veteran on a cheap deal. The Alexander pick-up was good business - something like that again would be ideal.

(12-28-2020, 12:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s one good thing (kinda) we have so many holes we need just about everything. I’d say QB, RB, and safety are about the only positions we’re set at. So we really should be able to go BPA.

Safety is a need as well. With Shawn Williams out of contract and already packing his bags for the exit there's no depth whatsoever at the position. I had some hopes for Trayvon Henderson maybe being a developmental piece but I think he was waived the other day. A late round pick at S is a minimum.

The drop off if Bates got injured would be catastrophic.

(12-28-2020, 12:53 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I just don't get this. The team is better at the run than when Geno is playing. Yeah, he gets a sack every other game but that's about it. Outside of two big runs, they played the run pretty well today. Daniels, Covington, Reader(already signed) and Williams could all be back next year cheaply while you build up the offense with early round picks. Then in 2022, look to draft Daniels eventual replacement with an early round DT.

Go offense and a CB or two in the 2021 draft and let the 2020 LBs and Pratt prove if they can improve next year. If any fall off, grab a LB or two in the 2022 draft.

They need a pass rushing DT. There's no one other than Geno who's a potential cap casualty.

(12-28-2020, 07:23 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I like Gio a lot and think he adds a lot to the third down offense. He is really good at picking up the blitzers. However, for 4.8 million that money can be better spent. 

Last year he played in all 16 games and had 53 carries for 170 yards and 30 receptions out of 43 targets for 234 yards. This year his numbers are up because Mixon has been out. He is currently the 16th highest paid running back according to Over the Cap. Mixon is the 7th highest paid RB. 

To put this in perspective Perine makes $825,000. 

In a salary cap league --overspending hurts the roster. Love Gio but hate the salary. If they re-negotiate with him (other teams do that ) and get him in around 2.8 million then it could work.

Bernard ($4.1 mil) + CJ (5 mil) + Hart (5.9 mill)  = Scherff (15 mil) or Shaq Barrett ($15.8 mil) or Trent Williams (13.2 mil) or Joe Thuney (14.7 mil) 

Seems like a no-brainer to me 

Surely the take away from that is love Mixon hate his salary?

The problem isn't Gio's salary it is Mixon's. Obviously they are now stuck with this for several years.

This is probably another example of where Tobin has cost the franchise. They felt obliged to pay Mixon having come up almost blank in the draft from 2012 until 2018 when they drafted Bates (Zeitler and Marvin Jones were good and worth paying but had already departed; injuries meant they weren't in a position to pay big money long term deals for Eifert, WJIII and Lawson; the only other player from those drafts worth paying was Boyd, who they'd already secured long term). See also Hopkins who they seemed to pay for the need to spend money. Hopkins is ok but he had the biggest deal out of everyone who played v Houston! Had Bates and Mixon been up for a new deal at the same time it would have been a far easier sell to sign Bates to a massive deal and then say that's why we can't afford Mixon.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What have we learned in the past few weeks? - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 12-31-2020, 11:58 AM