Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals can create more cap space in 2021, by extending players this week.
(12-31-2020, 03:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not talking specifically this year, but have they ever, as that's likely what got them paid on those current contracts. I think you knew that before you decided to Fred your numbers.

JJ Watt got paid in 2014 with a 20.5 sack season under his belt. Just because he got 5 sacks in 2020, so you're not counting him towards your 12 sack guys list, but you are counting him on the highly paid list. When he got paid, it was because he had big results as he showed in 2018 when he showed he could still do things with a 16 sack season. He has done it, he can do it. It's something we know as tangible results to point to as reasoning to keep paying him. Results that Lawson has never had. Right now paying Lawson would basically just be on ephemeral non-stats and hope.

I saw someone earlier on this board suggesting franchise tagging Lawson which in 2020 was over $15m. The guy has 5.5 sacks and is averaging about 1 solo tackle per game this year.

As has been pointed out to you by others, there are more than just sacks used to evaluate the disruptiveness of a pass rusher.  Lawson is among the top in hurries and QB hits, that qualifies his effectiveness.  If this were a different season, where we were also getting a good interior push, his sack total would likely be much higher.

The man has put together a good year on an injury riddled and identity struggling defense.  I agree with not franchise tagging him.  However, he's worth keeping around, and I sincerely hope that the team is able to work out a fair deal for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals can create more cap space in 2021, by extending players this week. - SunsetBengal - 12-31-2020, 04:34 PM