Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI Report - Bengals planning "major shake up" to Taylor's staff
(12-31-2020, 06:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-major-shakeup-zac-taylor-coaching-staff

Key thing to note: Zac Taylor WILL be returning for a 3rd season, but the organization will force out multiple assistant coaches.

While I am not thrilled with the work that any of the Bengals coaches have done here, I can't help but wonder if the Bengals have already contacted people and have replacements in mind?  I know there are rules of contacting coaches (if currently under contract, you can't steal away a "lateral move", unless agreed upon by both teams and there may be compensation for the team losing the coach), but unemployed coaches can be hired at any time.

I don't think the Bengals would be looking to eliminate 2-3 position coaches or coordinators unless they had a plan in mind of who they would like to replace them with.  Maybe some are internal promotions and some would be currently unemployed.  

Of the current coaches, I found it interesting that the title of assistant head coach is only attached to Darrin Simmons, so a team would have to offer him essentially HC in order to get him away from Cincy while under contract without compensation.  Could Darrin Simmons be moved to OC?  What do the Bengals think of Al Golden?  If they like him, he could be moved to DC.  

Some former Bengal coaches that I think were well liked and were hired away:

Alex Van Pelt.  I thought he was a great QB coach and Dalton had one of his best years under him.  He was hired away by none other than the Cleveland Browns to be their OC.  NOTE:  He does not have the "asst head coach" title.  All it would take under league rules is to add that to his title and the Bengals could steal him BACK from Cleveland.  Apparently, you can have two people with the title of assistant head coach.  Interesting fact about Van Pelt:  He lives in Cincinnati and has three children.  

James Urban-  Served as Bengals WR coach from 2011-2017 and has been the Raven's QB coach for the past three season.  He could be promoted to OC if he came to Cincinnati.

Jay Gruden-  He has had a solid year with next to no talent at Jax as their OC.  He could be offered the same OC position with the added title of Asst head coach as I mentioned with Van Pelt.  

Mike Zimmer-  The only real name I could think of after his coaching career in Cincy for the defense.  I loved his intensity, but not only do I not 
see Minnesota letting him go, I can't imagine he would want to come back here as a DC.  

Wade Phillips- He has quite the resume, but his age concerns me.  He isn't the healthiest looking guy, either.  Maybe if he wanted to be a "consultant" but we know coaches have such egos and any DC would probably feel threatened by him.

stole this from an article about the Raiders next DC candidates:  

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.88)]Kris Richard[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]Richard didn’t coach in the NFL last season. Prior to that, he was the defensive backs coach in Dallas. Before that job, he spent eight years with the Seahawks, the final three as defensive coordinator 2015-17. In those years his defenses were ranked second, fifth, and 11th respectively. Prior to that, he was credited with overseeing the ‘Legion of Boom’ secondary as the team’s defensive backs coach. In an ever more passing league, that could be just what the Raiders need. (Or Bengals:)[/color]

Based on this short list:  My dream additions would be Van Pelt to coach the offense and be asst. head coach, and Kris Richard to coach the defense.  I didn't go so far as to look for position coaches.  The good news is, based on the rules, the Bengals could already be in contact with them and even have an agreement in principle.  Before everyone poo-poos my thoughts for coaches, remember the Bengals spent a shit ton of money on FA last year.  What makes people think they wouldn't open their wallets for a group of better coaches?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: SI Report - Bengals planning "major shake up" to Taylor's staff - SHRacerX - 01-01-2021, 01:42 PM