Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
How much if it is personnel and how much is coaching?
(01-05-2021, 01:28 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I don't understand how the statement about talent can be made as an apples to apples comparison.  Is the talent on the other teams magnitudes better or are those talents being utilized better by other teams?  Just because the team sucked in comparison to the other teams doesn't mean they don't have talent on the teams to compete.  There are some players that are just obviously head and shoulders better than another player, but there are many players on every team that can lean on either side depending on how they're utilized. 

But I agree that there are certainly gaps in personnel.  That's a major part of Tobin's role, and I think he's failed at it.  He's just as much, and probably more, to blame for the issues this team has right now than Taylor or the players.  

I think the Bengals' biggest weakness is the back of the roster. The starters can sort of hold their own but the depth gets brutally exposed. This where you're relying on Tobin and he has let them down. There are simply too many replacement level players.

I don't know if this is down to an unwillingness to spend on quality depth (I can imagine Mike Brown saying why do I need to pay for a back-up) but it hurts the Bengals time after time. Of course there is going to be a drop from starter to back-up but it shouldn't be as step as it has been for the Bengals.

Look at the Bengals' failure to use the waiver wire effectively. Was there really no-one better than Calhoun waived when Cincy had priority? That's on Tobin. The should be cycling through the back of the roster looking for someone who can stick. Instead they've been wasting spots on two kickers, or keeping a QB for a year before just cutting him.

(01-05-2021, 01:43 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Absolutely agree on Tobin. He really bombed from 2015 through 2018 when you look at it. That 2015 draft really set this team back, and the cracks started to show at the end of Marvin's tenure.

Bombing the draft at the same time as failing to re-sign players - Zeitler, Marvin Jones, Whitworth, Sanu, Reggie Nelson etc - absolutely devastating for a draft and develop side that wouldn't spend in free agency.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much if it is personnel and how much is coaching? - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 01-05-2021, 07:13 PM