Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hank Fraley OL coach interview
(01-08-2021, 10:30 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: it tends to be both ... they are not  just exclusive from each other ..also  because someone in a conversation says "like" you can't just read into that they don't "respect" them.

You can definitely like and respect at the same time.  But you can also respect someone you don't like as a friend.  

I've had bosses over the years I couldn't stand to sit down with for a beer or have casual conversation with if it wasn't necessary, but I respected the hell out of them for how they ran their orgs.  I worked hard for them and knew that we were doing big things.  So, not like but respect.

And  I've had bosses I really liked and I worked hard for, but they were inefficient at best and clueless at worst.  No matter how much effort we put in, we were wasting time and not getting the results any of us wanted.  The desire to keep plugging decreases pretty fast regardless of how much you like someone.  Like, no respect.  

The unicorn is the boss that you respect because they're awesome at their job, a great leader and motivator and creating positive change every day.  And you'd love to sit down with them for a beer.  A quick calculation of my own work history puts that at less than 5% of people I've worked for over the years and I can't be alone in that.  But liking isn't a requirement to be inspired and motivated and give your full effort.

There have been plenty of "players coaches" that were never successful.  Guys on the team loved them but that was as far as it went.  There are other coaches who have been difficult to be around from a personality standpoint who have had successful careers.  Burrow has spent one year with Zac, and didn't get his full first season because of the injury so there is unfinished business and I'm sure Burrow wants to see what's next.  But I'm willing to bet that the fastest way to earn Burrow's respect is to win games, not just talk about winning games. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Hank Fraley OL coach interview - pally - 01-07-2021, 10:41 AM
RE: Hank Fraley OL coach interview - pally - 01-07-2021, 11:19 AM
RE: Hank Fraley OL coach interview - pally - 01-07-2021, 12:08 PM
RE: Hank Fraley OL coach interview - pally - 01-07-2021, 12:17 PM
RE: Hank Fraley OL coach interview - CJD - 01-07-2021, 12:30 PM
RE: Hank Fraley OL coach interview - jj22 - 01-07-2021, 03:54 PM
RE: Hank Fraley OL coach interview - pally - 01-09-2021, 06:33 PM
RE: Hank Fraley OL coach interview - pally - 01-07-2021, 06:46 PM
RE: Hank Fraley OL coach interview - jj22 - 01-07-2021, 06:57 PM