Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Soy Boy, Deep State, China Paid, Antifa Libz...
(02-22-2021, 02:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It really picked up with the Clinton years, which is when we saw such a push for people to go to college. I've definitely seen a lot of material from the Department of Ed talking up college and showing those sorts of tables.

Now, specifically to your last section, why do you think there are no longer private lenders? I started working in the field in 2012 and stopped that role in 2019 when I became an auditor. During that time frame, not only were private loans a regular part of the process, but they were growing in their proportion of the loan funds the university took in.

I shouldn't have said "eliminated private lenders from the student loan game" without specifying that I meant gov. guaranteed loans. At least that is how I understood the purport of the HCER Act.  The government supposedly stopped subsidizing guaranteed loans from private lenders because banks were making obscene profits on student debt.

That wouldn't affect myriad private loans with no gov. mediation.

I'm pursuing these questions because I'm curious about the degree to which gov., or gov. policies, have adopted free-market or profit oriented principles displacing the ethic and goals of non-profit service. Universities have been heading that direction for some time now. In the '60s-'70s people outside universities were arguing that universities should be run more like businesses to make them more efficient and competitive.  In the '80s universities began taking that advice, or had it forced on them in the case of many public institutions, a factor in driving up operational and tuition costs.

If government is doing that too then that's one less sector of society to resist total social domination of that market logic which neoliberals would like to see mediating all social relations. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hey Soy Boy, Deep State, China Paid, Antifa Libz... - Dill - 02-22-2021, 06:00 PM