Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illinois Becomes First State to Commit to Eliminating Cash Bail
(02-24-2021, 01:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Sounds good in theory, but that's not what's happening in practice.  Violent criminals are being let go on a regular basis in places like Chicago and NYC, all while violent crime rates rise dramatically.  What could possibly go wrong?

A prohibitively high bail is essentially the same as remanding someone, so if you replaced cash bail with a higher instance of remanding then I'm fine with it.  Especially for repeat offenders.  I had a case in which a guy mugged a pregnant woman, literally punched her in the face and kicked her to the ground.  The guy was out less than five hours later.  Imagine being the husband of that woman and seeing that guy (they both lived in the same area) on the street after what he did to your wife.

And in that instance you are setting up a law abiding citizen to commit assault and become a criminal.  I don't think I have a single guy friend who wouldn't act on that in a second if he saw that dude and that is if they didn't seek him out.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Illinois Becomes First State to Commit to Eliminating Cash Bail - Mickeypoo - 02-24-2021, 03:00 PM