Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illinois Becomes First State to Commit to Eliminating Cash Bail
(02-25-2021, 02:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: I would ask about the circumstances around the arson. Was it with people inside or was it their own house for insurance fraud? Things like that. As to tailoring it, that simply isn't true and it's why bail reform is such a big deal. They consider access to a bail bondsman to be good enough in terms of being able to make bail, but the fallout from such arrangements creates major issues. Heck, even the delays from getting everything set up with the bail bondsman can cause people to lose their jobs.

Sorry, but you are incorrect here.  Judges absolutely take into account a defendant's ability to pay and will adjust bail accordingly.  There are, of course, limits to this,  The rest of your statement is correct.

Quote:If you incorrectly incarcerate the wrong person pre-trial you have created another victim and I think that is not talked about enough as it currently stands.

I don't disagree with this point, but, again, at some point on the spectrum of seriousness we also need to account for the safety of the victims, if they are still alive, but also society as a whole.  That just isn't part of this movement and it's why I have an issue with it. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Illinois Becomes First State to Commit to Eliminating Cash Bail - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-25-2021, 02:16 PM