Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illinois Becomes First State to Commit to Eliminating Cash Bail
(02-25-2021, 02:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Sorry, but you are incorrect here.  Judges absolutely take into account a defendant's ability to pay and will adjust bail accordingly.  There are, of course, limits to this,  The rest of your statement is correct.

I don't disagree with this point, but, again, at some point on the spectrum of seriousness we also need to account for the safety of the victims, if they are still alive, but also society as a whole.  That just isn't part of this movement and it's why I have an issue with it. 

I'll let Fred chime in on this as he has more experience but I know specific examples where that was not the case. They don't know that someone is house poor or has mountains of medical debt, or whatever. Sometimes they do and they simply don't care, the system is too arbitrary, maybe a middle ground is to set guidelines?

Maybe, but the assumption is the person being held is innocent at this point which means their rights are being violated up until their trial. One could argue that there was no way the founding fathers could have dreamed people would potentially wait months to a year before they could prove their innocence.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Illinois Becomes First State to Commit to Eliminating Cash Bail - Au165 - 02-25-2021, 02:28 PM