Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why I am Not a Fan of the Equality Act
(02-26-2021, 04:45 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I can think of tons of jobs where appearance affects job performance.  People may not like to admit that, but it's 100% the truth. 

There's a reason so many pharmaceutical reps are attractive females.  It leads to more sales.  They can get face time with Dr's easier and, like or not, their appearance drives sales.

Go to an upscale hotel.  Like or not, but these people are the face of the hotel .  They're not hiring people with tattoos on their face.

Go to high end jeweler and take a look at woman at the counter.  What % of them are obese?  Does it match the national average?

If you go to a skate shop you might expect to see a guy who fits the personlity of that shop.  He probably looks like a stereotypical skater.  Why?  Because he relates to the clientele.

So for the same reasons, if you go to a supplement store, the owner might prefer to hire meatheads who look the part.  Would that owner be wrong to not want to hire someone who is clearly trans to work that counter?  Is it not safe to assume that this could affect this person's performance (sales)?

I think that's an honest question.  In certain situations and in certain companies, appearance and personality need to mesh with the job.  I don't think there's anything wrong in admitting that.  And I'm not sure how religion factors into decisions that are clearly made in the interest of business.

The Equality Act does not make appearance/personality protected classes. The Equality Act does not force business owners to hire LGBT workers. 

If your only opposition to it is that LGBT people could sue on the basis of discrimination, it's a pretty shit argument.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why I am Not a Fan of the Equality Act - CKwi88 - 02-26-2021, 05:38 PM