Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are we not extending our good players?
(03-06-2021, 12:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think the last legit extension I can think of for one of our really good players was Joe Mixon last off-season.

Why are we not/haven't we extended guys like WJ3, Bates, Lawson, etc.

Bates is a FA after this year. They are going to let Lawson and WJ3 walk...like what are we doing?

I don't think they are as focused on extensions going into free agency, combine and draft.  Often Bengals do contract extensions after draft and before start of season.  Bengals almost never talk contracts once season starts, they feel that is off season stuff. 

How much these players want is important.  I don't think any of them are the best in the game at their positions. Plus Bengals lose with them.  I see a lot of upside to keeping Bates.  Is he an Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott or Troy Polamalu yet, NO.  How much does he and his agent want ?   I would like to keep Bates most of the 3, but not Hall Of Fame Super Star Bucks.  

Yes, the Bengals are cheap, even when they let Bill Bergey or Lemar Parrish go in 1970's.  I never under estimate how cheap the Bengals Front Office can be.  However these agents and players can over estimate how much they are worth. 

Bates makes good hard hit tackles and yet plays within the new rules of the game unlike Burfict who never adjusted. Bates still needs to improve on pass coverage and giving deep ball help, but he is an asset to this defense. He can flat out tackle for a safety, and do it without getting flagged in todays game. I don't care about safety blitz.  Bengals safeties need to improve on giving corners deep ball help, but Bates has all the tools and can flat out tackle.  I call him BATES MOTEL.  That hasn't really caught on as a nickname, maybe kids have never seen movie Psycho.  You don't want to go near The Bates Motel. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are we not extending our good players? - kevin - 03-07-2021, 05:32 AM