Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-07-2021, 12:45 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: If Republicans weren't afraid of two more Democratic Senators being added(Same by Democrats if Puerto Rico was mostly Conservative), they would have been a state a long time ago along with Guam and American Samoa. I say go through the process of adding them if Republicans continue to keep pushing for voter suppression laws.

I'd suggest you take a little bit of time to read up on the history of Puerto Rico, specifically after the Spanish American War.

There was a push for statehood (from the US) for quite awhile in the early 20th century.  Puerto Rico resisted, as they had been pushing for full autonomy for a long, long time. (Dating well back to when they were under Spanish rule)

They were finally allowed to elect their own governors in the late 40's, and drafted their constitution and bill of rights in 1952.

I'm pretty sure that's why you're still seeing a 50/50 split today.  And I'm actually surprised statehood has that much support there.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Wes Mantooth - 03-07-2021, 11:20 AM