Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-08-2021, 07:43 PM)Dill Wrote: If we "cut them loose" without their consent, we would be deciding for them that they are not U.S. citizens anymore.

Yeah, that was some kind of implied point. You cannot quite do that, rescind citizenships. They'd have to decide so for themselves.

Of course, if they do so, hold a referendum and a majority is actually for independence, then so it shall be, imho.

If that isn't so, as it appears (as far as I can tell), they need to have all the rights citizens in a democracy have - especially when it comes to voting for their nation's leader and being represented in Congress. Which does not necessarily mean statehood, but practically probably is tied to it.

Anything else is unworthy of a democracy. Maybe not so much if Puerto Ricans decide themselves they'd rather keep the status quo. Not so much if mainland America decides that for them.

(03-08-2021, 07:43 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL Trump once asked if we could "sell" Puerto Rico off.  Like a hotel losing money.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/politics/trump-puerto-rico-hurricane-maria/index.html

Why has no one here considered THAT option?

Oh my, that would be such a sweet purchase for Austria. Can we get dips? We'd happily trade you Corinthia for them too. If you don't know them: They are great. (I you know them, maybe we can find another deal.)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - hollodero - 03-08-2021, 07:52 PM