Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-10-2021, 03:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This is kind of an odd statement.  You don't want D.C. to be a state but you want it to get all the representation of one?  Also, why the objection to absorption into Maryland?  They instantly have representation and Maryland would add some HoR seats.  Problem solved on every level.

And not surprisingly.

I haven't thought through my contradictory impulses here--

1) I want the people of DC to have the same level of representation as other citizens.

2) But keep the District separate from any state, as a symbolically "national" territory.

I don't know how Marylanders would feel about the "absorption." I doubt MD Republicans would think "problem solved."

Giving them two senators and a voting rep is also problem solved, as far as 1) goes.

Were I a DC resident,* I'm not sure how I'd feel, suddenly subsumed under Maryland political administration. Capitol in Annapolis, etc.

*Actually, I was a DC resident from '93-96. I don't think I'd have wanted to be part of Maryland. That would look like a whole new layer of politics and administration I'd have to get to know.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Dill - 03-10-2021, 04:47 PM