Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-10-2021, 04:47 PM)Dill Wrote: And not surprisingly.

I haven't thought through my contradictory impulses here--

1) I want the people of DC to have the same level of representation as other citizens.

2) But keep the District separate from any state, as a symbolically "national" territory.

Or, i.e., statehood.  Ninja

Quote:I don't know how Marylanders would feel about the "absorption." I doubt MD Republicans would think "problem solved."

I guarantee you they'd prefer it to D.C. statehood.

Quote:Giving them two senators and a voting rep is also problem solved, as far as 1) goes.

True, but it's also the far more radical action.

Quote:Were I a DC resident, I'm not sure how I'd feel, suddenly subsumed under Maryland political administration. Capitol in Annapolis, etc.

Their complaint is lack of representation, which I get.  Absorption into an existing state completely rectifies this issue.  It's also a far simpler action.  I don't think the residents of D.C. get to both voice their concern and arbitrarily get to be the only people who decide how that concern is resolved.  The repercussions of this would be nationwide.  Essentially, they voiced a valid concern, that doesn't mean they get to decide how that concern is resolved as long as it is resolved.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-10-2021, 05:03 PM