Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-10-2021, 01:02 PM)Dill Wrote: Of course you are, Virginian. Mad

But we're not letting you do that again.

But seriously, I am somewhat surprised you'd favor that "right," given the constant instability the U.S. experienced during its first 80 years because of threats of secession from both northern and southern states. And then the Great War of Northern Aggression.

Maybe it is my Virginian ways, but I've always been in favor of a state's right to secede, even as someone that really hates seeing all the Confederate bullshit around me. But, I've always been a big supporter of states' rights all around. You know, the actual argument for states' rights, not the bullshit excuse for trying to keep slavery around.

(03-10-2021, 01:02 PM)Dill Wrote: I think the original impetus for a special district was to keep states from squabbling over North vs South "ownership."

Perhaps that is a dead issue now. 

I don't want to think of the District as another state, and I don't want it absorbed into Maryland. (If anything, make VA give back Alexandria county.) Retain fed control maybe, but give them two senators and keep the three electors.

Do you know how excited some people in Virginia would be to give back Alexandria/Arlington County? Hell, they'd like to throw in Loudon, Fairfax, Prince William, Fauquier, and Stafford Counties. LOL

But yeah, it is a dead issue, now. It's no longer North v. South. It's not Big States and Small States or Urban v. Rural. It's all just partisan.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Belsnickel - 03-10-2021, 07:10 PM