Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-10-2021, 07:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Maybe it is my Virginian ways, but I've always been in favor of a state's right to secede, even as someone that really hates seeing all the Confederate bullshit around me. But, I've always been a big supporter of states' rights all around. You know, the actual argument for states' rights, not the bullshit excuse for trying to keep slavery around.

Do you know how excited some people in Virginia would be to give back Alexandria/Arlington County? Hell, they'd like to throw in Loudon, Fairfax, Prince William, Fauquier, and Stafford Counties. LOL

But yeah, it is a dead issue, now. It's no longer North v. South. It's not Big States and Small States or Urban v. Rural. It's all just partisan.

There have been other secession movements as well, not just you confeds.--e.g. Massachusetts, CT and RI wanted to during the War of 1812, but the war was over when their emissaries arrived in Congress. Abolitionists were proposing "northern" secession as well (e.g. Garrison's first issue of The Liberator). Then there was a proposal of southern states to join with Texas, while it was a Republic, and separate from the union. Almost forgot Burr and Tennessee/Kentucky/Louisiana. What a mess. Didn't stop till after '65.

The possibility that all those old issues of "nullification" and secession could revive in this time of division worries me a bit.Nervous 

2nd bolded: I see what you mean--a return to the original district might flip VA Red, for sure with Fairfax and Loudon. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Dill - 03-11-2021, 12:16 AM