Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-11-2021, 09:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have a major issues with statehood for a city, especially one that was set apart from the rest of the government intentionally.  Under no circumstances should D.C. get two Senators, and I'd have the same issue with any other city.  We want to treat D.C. as different, fine, then treat it as different.  I'm fine with statehood as long as it involves no Senate representation, which, I am aware, is the only reason it's being sought in the first place.

Well, we would need a constitutional amendment to make it so they wouldn't get two Senators. That is what a state is entitled to. The problem is that the founders didn't really expect people to live in DC. Who would want to live in that swamp? Well, now it has a lot of people living within its boundaries, and these citizens do not enjoy the same privileges and immunities as other citizens in this country.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Belsnickel - 03-11-2021, 10:09 PM