Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skill players surrounding Andy
(07-21-2017, 11:52 AM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: This has nothing to do with expectations of all #1 and 2 rnd picks to be stars

Few are.

It has more to deal with investing such a high % of your top picks on skill players

There are many other needs on a football field.   The bengals have had to select a very high % of top picks on these types of players over the last 5 years.

The Steelers WRs are 3rd,4th and 6th round picks
Their TE is a 5th rounder
And their RBs are a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder and a scrap heap journeyman

I would agree that the Bengals spend too many picks on skill position offensive players, but I disagree that it's because Dalton sucks. It's because the Bengals avoid free agency and trades. Pick me out a handful of good QBs, and I guarantee I can find you a very good mix of draft picks and FA/trade acquisitions. 

Btw, your logic with the Steelers is flawed or biased. 

"The Steelers WRs are 3rd,4th and 6th round picks" - The 6th round pick was Antonio Brown, who they just gave a huge contract. If Ben were able to do more on his own and can get it done with scrub 6th rounders, why not invest that money elsewhere? Also, if you count guys like Sanu (3rd rounder) and Marvin Jones (5th rounder) then why can't we count Martavis Bryant and Sammie Coates?

"Their TE is a 5th rounder" - Jesse James was a 2nd rounder. There is no 5th round TE on their roster.

"And their RBs are a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder and a scrap heap journeyman" - Knile Davis is on his 3rd team. Bit of a stretch to call him a journeyman. They have a 2nd rounder (that panned out in a major way) and a pair of 3rd round picks if you count Davis. Now is that really that much different than a trio of 2nd rounders? Plus, is it worth considering that maybe we keep taking 2nd round RB's because they're not panning out? If LeVeon Bell was a turd, I doubt the Steelers would've just stopped trying to find a RB for Ben.

----------------------

Honestly though...are we REALLY comparing Dalton's weapons to Ben's? Obviously Dalton can only Pray that Mixon turns out as good as Bell. Hopefully Ross will be as productive as Bryant. Dalton has to "hope" while Ben already know what he has. Maybe that's why we keep taking skill position players. That, and ours have become free agents and walked for big contracts elsewhere. Ben hasn't had that problem lately. Yet. The Steelers have kept their linemen and we'll see who the Steelers draft when/if Bell and Bryant leave.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Skill players surrounding Andy - TKUHL - 07-20-2017, 12:27 PM
RE: Skill players surrounding Andy - kevin - 07-25-2017, 01:54 AM
RE: Skill players surrounding Andy - Shake n Blake - 07-21-2017, 02:24 PM
RE: Skill players surrounding Andy - McC - 07-21-2017, 09:17 PM