Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forget World Series. How Do Reds go 81-81 in 2018 ?
Looking at Reds I can come up with a line-up easy enough and it's not bad.
1. Hamilton-CF Bats S
2. Gennett-2nd Bats-L
3. Votto- 1st Bats-L
4. Duvall-OF Bats-R
5. Schebler-OF Bats-L
6. Suarez-3rd Bats-R
7. CATCHER - Barnhart/ Mesoraco
8. SHORTSTOP - Peraza / Herrera

I like the top 6 and good mix of righty and lefty bats. Hamilton leads off due to speed. After that it is good power hitters. I see no reason not to drop catcher and shortstop to the bottom.

The problem is Pitching. I can tell you right now Reds only have 4 lefty pitchers on 40 man roster and that's not enough. Poster before me likes Castillo on the mound. As far as starters none of their names will get you excited. Lets look at 1st or 2nd round picks. Homer Bailey in 2004-Right. Stephenson in 2011-Right. Lorenzen in 2013-Right. Finnegan in 2014-Left, all 1st round. Reed was 2nd round by Royals in 2013- Left. Now it seems to me Reds have been trading for these picks and it's too early to give up on them, certainly the most recent ones.

So starting pitching I would have no problem with Homer Bailey as Opening Day pitcher. He is the no hit pitcher veteran of the staff. Can we get 5 starters out of Bailey, Castillo, Stephenson, Lorenzen, Finnegan, Reed, maybe Romano or Garrett.

With only 4 lefty pitchers they all would make my active roster out of need until we get others. Finnegan, Garrett, Peralta and Reed would all be on the team out of need for left handed pitchers.

It's easy to start with the Bullpen with Closer-Iglesias-Right and Set Up Man- Peralta-Left. I've got Finnegan, Garrett and Reed on team as either Lefty Starters or Lefty Bullpen. I guess Reds are counting on Hughes in pen. Shackelford, Brice, Hernandez in mix.

The Reds look good at Closer and Set Up Man and have a good batting order. Their getting out of Last Place Problem is finding starting pitchers and middle relievers to get them to Peralta and Iglesias to hold a lead. That's the problem, last place Reds don't often have a late inning lead.

Much like the Bengals need an O Line to compete, Reds need starting pitching to compete. A healthy Homer Bailey would be greatly welcomed back to a pitching staff in need of starters. A good year by Bailey could help put together 5 starters and round out a decent middle relief bullpen. If that happens, Reds have the hitters and the late inning pitchers to climb out of last and give Reds Fans a team worth watching. I will not watch Votto on a last place Reds team, but if the Reds improve I will watch Reds including Votto. Posting this day before Super Bowl I could care less about, But I would like to see Reds AND Bengals improve and be worth watching in 2018.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Forget World Series. How Do Reds go 81-81 in 2018 ? - kevin - 02-03-2018, 07:49 AM