Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin: "Our way's not good enough"
(08-08-2015, 03:52 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I think the "2nd rate team" culture is more of a lingering perspective that a segment of the fan base can't let go. It was undoubtedly true quite some time ago (and it could be suggested that referring to them as only "2nd rate" would have been generous). Part of that is understandably due to the fact that the same man sits atop the organizational chart.

Obviously, it cannot be argued that there is no indoor practice facility, though there is debate over its necessity. Nonetheless, you have a point there. However, I have a hard time believing the idea that they have poor facilities even before the various upgrades this offseason. Regarding the scouting department, shouldn't it be judged on its merits rather than simply its size? This team has drafted pretty well for quite a while now. For a franchise who has put a conscious effort into building via the draft moreso than free agency (regardless of whether one feels that is the best approach or not), they have put together a solid track record. I'd rather have a small, but efficient scouting department than a bloated one.

This franchise isn't "1st rate" in every single way, but I don't believe there is likely any team out there that is. As a whole, though, I think they're there. They certainly do have some areas they still need to improve upon and there are valid concerns that Marvin Lewis may not be the one who can deliver that improvement, but it is in his hands this season whether some like it or not, so hopefully this public acknowledgement spurs the necessary changes among the head coach & his staff, the players and everyone else throughout the organization from whom they are needed.

Don't get me wrong, there has been a lot of improvement over the last decade or so, but the Bengals still lag behind in a few key areas. The improvements made to the weight room was a start, but the lack of an indoor facility is a bigger issue than some let on. While other teams train in luxurious facilities with fields, weight rooms and cafeterias, the Bengals are still bussing over to UC...if Marv decides it's worth the inconvenience.

In the end, I put more blame on Marv for the postseason failures, but there is no doubt that Mike Brown could do more to run a first class organization and help Marvin. The Bengals are one of maybe 2-3 teams that don't have a facility of there own. That alone puts them behind other franchises IMO.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Marvin: "Our way's not good enough" - 34inXXIII - 08-08-2015, 03:52 PM
RE: Marvin: "Our way's not good enough" - Shake n Blake - 08-08-2015, 04:37 PM