Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin: "Our way's not good enough"
(08-08-2015, 12:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Marvin Lewis leading shakeup

The players here are sporting "Bengals Revival" T-shirts, and as head coach Marvin Lewis explained to me, it's the outgrowth of an effort he started with his staff at the end of the 2014 season. He wanted them to evaluate everything -- similar to the way he did in 2011 -- and shake things up. As part of that, the Bengals doubled the size of their weight room, added a dining area and redid the players' lounge. "We kinda restarted things," Lewis explained. "And I told the coaches after last season, 'We gotta find a different way.' Our way's not good enough. We gotta find a different way. And we gotta push all the time. I think the guys have done a good job, the players have done a nice job of responding to that. They know that. They know that here is not where we want to be. We want to end up at the top." The obvious inference that can be drawn, of course, is that it'll take a little more to get out of the first round of the playoffs, where the team's past four seasons have ended. Lewis continued, "Every step, the organization has done a great job in putting the guys in position to do these things. Now we've gotta capitalize on it and get it done."

Full article @ NFL.Com

Replying before I read all the other comments (and I have been gone for a few days), I will probably be echoing the sentiments of many with a "I see better than I hear", or "we have heard it all before", and "actions speak louder than words", but I am glad he is at least including himself and his coaching staff in the criticism of "Our way isn't good enough".

So many times he would boil it down to blocking and tackling, but that ISN'T the only thing.  It is about leadership, aggression, and attitude just as much.  I want to see more passion out of Marv, as we do in Hue.  I want Hue to put himself out there even more.  If he wants to be a HC somewhere, he is going to have to show an offense that can win in the face of adversity.  Paulie G. is going to have to prepare his defense for maximum protection schemes and find a way to knock opposing QBs on their ass.  The players can't play a scheme other than what is called by the coaches.  It is time, especially in the postseason, to stop playing to avoid giving up the big play (although maybe that is ok late in a game up two scores) and start getting after people.  I think the players would be more motivated by this style of play as well. 

Let's see that, Marv.  Be the one throwing punches, not always the one ducking and sliding. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Marvin: "Our way's not good enough" - 34inXXIII - 08-08-2015, 03:52 PM
RE: Marvin: "Our way's not good enough" - SHRacerX - 08-09-2015, 06:35 PM