Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Teryl Austin Next DC of Bengals - Confirmed
(01-08-2018, 06:34 PM)McC Wrote: I know it's not a popular way of thinking these days but I'm willing to see what happens before I condemn the man.

(01-08-2018, 06:36 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: That sums up about where I am with this team in general
We've been waiting and seeing for the past 25 years.......  it's time to put it out there and go get it.

I was originally upset with the hire, but now I'm starting to warm up to it.

He's a players' coach and his players seem to love him, which players will play their hearts out for coaches they love.  I also like that he seems to call defenses to his players strengths, rather than trying to fit a round peg into a square hole, so let's just hope that Marvin doesn't have any kind of influence on him and doesn't try to influence his situational play calls (the signature Marvin move of being up one or two touchdowns and going vanilla on play calling trying to prevent a big play, which allows them to drive down the field and score).
(01-08-2018, 08:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This feels weak and lazy. Kinda like the Zampese hire. They were passive, wanted Guenther back, then hired the first guy they interviewed? I mean, Austin can't be the greatest candidate out there, right? Why not interview someone else?

People are trying to spin things as so different, but it sure looks pretty status quo to me.

I'd agree but it might not be too bad (hoping).

That's typical for Mike Brown, but Marvin said he'll have more say, so maybe it's a guy he wanted?  And Marvin's a defensive guy, so I'll trust him if he wanted Austin.

Austin runs a man-to-man scheme, which I think benefits our talented young corners, and also runs some stunts with the line but also brings some blitzes.  

What I love about him is that he's unpredictable, which how many coordinators have we bitched about being predictable (every one of them on both sides of the ball under Marvin, even if they don't start out the game that way?  Maybe that's Marvin's doing, but let's hope that this is different)?

We have talent on defense, so let's hope that our defense can make some noise under him.

I'd love Derwin James on Austin's defense.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teryl Austin Next DC of Bengals - Confirmed - BFritz21 - 01-08-2018, 08:50 PM