Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Article on Offensive Lineman
(01-19-2018, 10:51 AM)phil413 Wrote: I won't lie that he did seem to hold his own but it's a VERY small sample size.  You're right that it's tough to get an elite LT, and looks to be hard to even get a descent one as they'll be at a premium.  So, since Cincy likes kicking tires my compromise would be: 

Boling- His position revolves around the offseason.  They'll get visits with guys like Sam Young, Cam Fleming, Byron Bell and Greg Robinson and one will eventually sign.  Let's say they draft Mike McGlinchey, there is another RT type but if he holds his own at LT maybe he starts there.  

Westerman-His best position may be LG, so if Boling starts at LT then maybe he ends up here.  Like Boling, he hasn't had enough time at center so I'd still want another FA or draft pick to compete for that spot.  I

Redmond-  Either guard spot but ideally I want Redmond and Westerman competing at one spot with the other being a quality sub... meaning you had a good offseason.

So it could be something like:
LT-Clint Boling/Sam Young
LG-Johnathan Cooper
C-Isaiah Wynn/Joe Looney
RG-Redmond/Westerman
RT-McGlinchy/Sam Young

I guess the thought here is quantity over quality.  You sign a dependable starter in Cooper with his familiarity in Pollack in getting him back on his feet.  Sam Young (a Dayton guy) comes in as a 3rd tackle that could easily start if need be.  Joe Looney is another guy that has played in Pollack's system even if he hasn't done much.  I'd like to end up getting two eventual starters out of the first 3 rounds of the draft, with vet options if they aren't ready.  

Bottom line is I'd much rather hear the board murmur about Westerman (a quality versatile OL) not starting because we have 5 guys that bumped him rather than having to depend on a guy with limited experience at a position (Westerman at C? Boling at LT? A free agent RT at LT?) 

Great post Phil. Gonna come back to this one later cause it has a lot of possabilities that could happen under Pollack. Rock On

Nice article too Knightmare on Elmstreet and just a real nice thread. :andy:
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Good Article on Offensive Lineman - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-02-2018, 08:50 PM