Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Andy have the worst offensive supporting cast?
(02-23-2018, 06:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  Second half and overtime against the Packers dalton had an 84.2 passer rating.  Not great but not "stunk"

2.  Andy had a 96.3 passer rating in the second game against the Steelers.

3.  On average every NFL QB plays half of his games against teams in the bottom half of the league.  And pretty much every QB struggles against tough defenses and flourishes against weak defenses.  If you took every QB in the league and said all of his games against weak teams don't count then EVERY QBs number are going to look a lot worse.  This type of analysis is ridiculous.

To address your points....

1: Andy Dalton was AWFUL the 2nd half of the Packers game. Clearly you didn't watch it. If you did, you wouldn't be vomiting up his passer rating. Since you fail to actually research the BS you spew forth into the internet, I'll do it for you. I research this stuff before I type it out, which is why I'm a lot smarter than you. You simply have opinions, while I actually take the time to form mine....

- Only led the team to only 3 points in the 2nd half.

- Terrible on 3rd down. The team went 4/12 on 3rd down. I'll put some of that on the O line as well. That wasn't ALL bad QB play. 

- I went ahead and looked through the 2nd half play by play of the Packers game. Andy Dalton went 7 of 12 and missed on key plays the Bengals needed. Breaking THAT down for you...

- 1 in particular was due to Andy (once again) being fixated on AJ Green and not progressing to his other reads. He also missed other wide open WRs. Video found down the page in this link under "The Bad". I know you want watch it, Fred, but others reading and interested in, you know... learning something about that game/loss might be interested: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/9/27/16370986/nfl-week-3-bengals-packers-the-good-bad-and-the-ugly

- AD also had an intentional grounding call in the 2nd half.

- They also missed a 48 yard field goal, as well. However, THAT was after being given the ball at the GB 47 yard line and AD couldn't move the chains. AD took a -8 yard sack on 3rd down on that drive to lead to the longer attempt.

- In OT Andy Dalton did complete 2 passes, for a whopping 7 yards. The last one being for 1 yard on a 3rd and 6 play.

The quarter backing in the 2nd half of that game SUCKED. And, before anyone gets too wild and wacky hyping up the 1st half performance, Andy only led the team to 17 of those points. WJ3 had a pick 6. The entire team was doing great, AD included. And then, the 2nd half happened and the QB checked down into nothing and missed open throws. Andy had 212 passing yards for the game. That's not anything to be excited about. Especially when he had over time to work in as well.

Even though it may sound like it, I'm not completely blaming Andy Dalton for the loss. The defense was bad the 2nd half - although they didn't have help with field position, the line was inconsistent, the missed FG, and the Packers played very well. AD just didn't help at all in the 2nd half and when the other team's QB becomes a factor and the yours wilts.... Well, that's the difference between an avg to below avg QB and a great one.

2: Funny you bring up only the 2nd Steelers game, right? I'll break that down for you as well, but first, lets look at Dalton's train wreck 1st Steelers game...

- Passer rating of 63.2
- 140 yards
- 4.7 yards a throw (pitiful)
- 2 TDs, 2 INTs

Andy played well, not great, but well the 2nd Steelers game. I think for Andy Dalton you could say he played great. He didn't lose the game, would be my summarizing of how he played. Not something we can say for much of Andy's 2017. His poor play cost the Bengals the season more than any other single player.

3: It's not a ridiculous analysis to bring up which opponents a QB torched and which ones he didn't when discussing statistics. Andy Dalton beat up the Browns, who are by far the worst team in the NFL TWICE, badly. To then look at his season as a whole is fine, but to ignore that he gets the Browns twice is asinine. To think that that doesn't inflate his overall performance MORE than QBs who don't play the Browns twice EVERY SEASON, is asinine. I'm not saying to discredit his season performances, but if we're talking about if a QB is good or not, I'm more interested in how he performs against the better teams because in the playoffs, that is who he will be seeing. How he does against garbage isn't as relevant to me. Other guys like Ben, Tom Brady, Breese, etc. get a pass because they have performed well enough against good teams for long enough into their careers.

Andy Dalton has played 7 seasons and has a poor record and has mostly poor performances against top competition, playoffs, etc. So, it's relevant to see who he plays well against when looking at career numbers. If you want to show me successful post season QBs who struggle the same as Andy against top teams and for this long, please do. But to say it doesn't matter? That's a loser mentality.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Andy have the worst offensive supporting cast? - PDub80 - 02-28-2018, 12:16 PM