Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Andy have the worst offensive supporting cast?
(03-01-2018, 07:26 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Two 4,000 yard season (Should be three if not for injury in 2015)
1 30 TD(again should be two if not for injury in 2015)
4 seasons with at least 25 TDs
5 straight playoff appearances (it might go against your point so you will try and dismiss it)
2 division titles
4 seasons of at least 10 wins.

Two things that Andy has had a problem with one he was inconsistent early in his career and two lack of post season success. Besides that the guy has proven to be a franchise caliber QB. 

So, listen, I know I come across as a super A-Hole in my writing. I know I do. I often times reread what I write and go back and edit it because I realize it comes off as shitty. But, I'm not meaning it that way. I write how I speak and if you heard the inflection in my voice you would get that my tone isn't actually dickish or being seriously nasty to people. I look at the forum as if we're sitting at a huge table at a sports bar and just all talking Bengals. So, if I have come across to you as being shitty, in person, it wouldn't come off that way. Sometimes I snark at people when they're being obtuse, purposefully misleading, or arguing just to argue, but ultimately we're all Bengals fans and I love everyone.... even the members I hate Hilarious

So, I don't want to come across as crappy when I address your statistics. I actually have no problem counting Andy's 2015 in the sense of projecting it over the games he couldn't play (I'm not in love with his 2015 like everyone else, but it was a promising season - followed by two not so promising). I don't count the Colts playoff loss on him, either. I might have my own opinion on interpreting his play, but I also don't want to be unfair to the guy. My mind is open to changing. Anyway, to address your stats, in order...

1: 4,000 yards hasn't been a benchmark stat for a long time. In the modern NFL (I count this as post Irsay PA/Holding rules) 4000 yard passers are super common there are 8-12 or more 4000 yard passers every season. In the 2015 season you mentioned there were 12 guys with over 4,000 yards and 3 more in the 3,900s: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/year/2015

So, I don't see Andy getting to 4000 yards to be any kind of major accomplishment. The fact that, counting 2015, he's only done it 3 times out of 7 seasons is not soul stirring to me. He's ranked 7th and 11th in passing yards as career high finishes. It's basically slightly above average, but below average for that tier of QB (4000 yard guys). He could have hit 5,000 in 2015, but we'll never know.

2: He was 3rd in TD's way back in 2013 and would have definitely been up there in 2015. 30 TDs is really good. But, 2 out of 7 seasons shouldn't wow anyone. He's been in the league 7 seasons. Also, following up his 2015 with only 18 TDs in 2016 is upsetting to see as a fan. Andy's had one of the best WRs in the NFL in AJ Green his entire career. He SHOULD be throwing a ton of TDs.

3: 4 seasons with 25 TDs is middle of the road and bottom end of the better QBs. Andy Dalton doesn't suck over all, but he isn't consistently good or better than good. He's avg. to below avg. some games on a roster of above average talent (subject of the thread)... more on that later.

4: I would never dismiss Andy leading the team to the playoffs. He's played horribly in 3 of his 4 playoff games. I'll throw out the Colts game and he didn't play in 2015's. The missed throw to Green probably cost them the Texans game, and he totally crapped himself that Chargers playoff game. His 4th year in the league, there's no excuse for that. To his credit, he's never... ever... ever made any.

5: 2 division titles in 7 tries with superior to = talent of his opponent is not something anyone should be beating their chest over. Disappointing to me, honestly.

6: That's a good stat and it's tough to bang on him there. 10 wins is hard to do. But, we all know it has to be followed up on with post season success. If he's good enough in the regular season, he should be able to perform in the post season. He has the ability to be better THAT'S what frustrates me. If he was John Kitna I wouldn't care. I'd be like.. Oh, yeah, he's the QB. No way, with Andy. Andy needs to figure himself out.

I've hit him on post season success enough and, as I discussed with Wyche, the coach has been an issue as well, IMO. Andy has been wildly inconsistent his entire career. He goes from on point to WTF on a game by game basis. THAT is what's killing the Bengals. How do they game plan around that a guy who throws 17 TDs in 2014, then on target to throw for 35 TDs in 2015, and then 18 TDs the next in 2016? How do you build around that?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Andy have the worst offensive supporting cast? - PDub80 - 03-02-2018, 03:06 PM