Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I am not happy about the Cordy Glenn trade
I am putting this here as it pertains to the draft, at least a couple of drafts ago.

We had 2 1st round picks courtesy of Oakland and we had huge need at OLine.

We take Dre Kirkpatrick with our 1st pick. Trade back with NE to pick up an extra 3rd rounder. When our 2nd 1st round pick is in we pick up Kevin Zeitler.

Now before the draft I wanted us to go back to back OG. I wanted us to take David DeCastro 1st and then Cordy Glenn with our 2nd. Our OLine would have looked like this:

LT- Andrew Whitworth
LG- Cordy Glenn
C- Kyle Cook (who was solid and serviceable)
RG- David DeCastro
RT- Andre Smith

The knock on DeCastro was that he may not be as strong as other OGs and he is more of a technician. Glenn's knock was that he didn't have the technician abilities or the right footwork at the NFL level.

This line would have been together for at while as well. Yet we took Dre for some reason. I don't dislike Dre, but he hasn't been overly impressive to me and I believe we could have had a better player in DeCastro (who is still playing for the Steelers).

Kevin Zeitler was considered a strong OG prospect as he combined DeCastro and Glenn abilities, which is fine if we had selected one of the 2 as well. I mean you could take out Glenn or DeCastro and add Zeitler at either spot and it would still be a formidable line. Yet we let Zeitler go in FA to the Browns while keeping the inconsistent play of Dre.

It can be infuriating to see a move like the one we made to bring Glenn here when we could have had him all along. Now knowing that he can play LT it is even more frustrating as he could have been the heir to Whitworth instead of rolling the dice with Ogbuehi.

Now for the tidbit of this years draft. Let us go with Hayden Hurst for our 1st round selection. He would be insurance to Tyler Eifert and if Eifert can stay healthy another weapon for the Offense. For our OLine needs I would address them later as there are a plethora of OCs that will be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The talent differences between the top TE and the rest is significant. The level between the OCs is less so.

I would hate to see us pass on Hurst and have Eifert go down or even leave after the end of the season and us have to rely on Kroft (who would be a good 3rd TE) or Uzomah (who shouldn't make the team).
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Why I am not happy about the Cordy Glenn trade - YsCascadia - 03-31-2018, 01:43 PM