Poll: Should the NFL still have a preseason?
This poll is closed.
yes
42.11%
8 42.11%
no
57.89%
11 57.89%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the NFL disband preseason?
(08-20-2015, 11:52 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Speaking on the development league and the fact that currently that league is the college program:

The biggest issue I have with the College program is how completely watered down the talent is.  By that I mean there are so many programs that the talent gets spread so thin across the country that Johnny Manziel can happen.  When your leagues defensive talent is spread out like it is in college you end up with a bunch QB's that are runners instead of pocket passers.  We have been inundated for the last couple decades with the "Running QB" entering into the NFL.  At first it worked.  RGIII had a good season, Mike Vick had some good seasons (not throwing).  This is not to say all QB's (Mr. Cro Magnon in Indi)  But it didn't take NFL coaches long to figure out how to shut that down.  So why does it still prevail in college.  Talent.  The talent on any one NFL team defense is soooo much greater than on any one college team.  They are faster bigger and more discipline.  This is primarily do to dilution within the college system.  This leads to running qb's in college being very successful due to all of the attributes being lacking in the college programs.

Imagine if the NFL came out and said over the next 5 years they were going to evaluate all of the college programs and announce that effective 2020 only 64 college programs will be eligible for the NFL draft.  All other student athletes can try for the NFL as an un-drafted free agent.

How long would it take those programs to:

1  Form a new conference to play each other similar to how the NFL does
2  Condense the majority of the talent in the US to those 64 teams
3  provide a better product at certain positions than they do now.

I'm certainly not saying my opinion is right or we need to do this or anything like that.  Just putting a thought out there to be discussed.

I don't think the popularity of the spread option offense in college has much to do with lack of defensive talent.  I think it has more to do with the simplicity.  Even the most talent top programs only get a few hours a week a few weeks a year to install their offense.  It is impossible to implement an offense as complicated as the NFL teams use.  
That is why you get either the "spread option" or the "one-read-then-run" at almost every college.  Even the teams that throw the ball almost every down don't use that many different plays. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Should the NFL disband preseason? - J24 - 08-18-2015, 11:29 PM
RE: Should the NFL disband preseason? - fredtoast - 08-20-2015, 12:07 PM