Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AJ says Ross is healthy and explosive again
(05-05-2018, 11:51 AM)BengalChris Wrote: While I understand what you are saying, it was picking Ross with the #9 pick instead of trading back and taking a OT and getting an extra pick, which could have been used on a Center, that cost the team dearly. Or the team could have picked Derek Barnett who would be replacing Michael Johnson already. Either way, the team would have had much more contribution from their 2017 1st round selection.

The team had plenty of offers to move back and should have taken one of them. Reminds me of the Akili Smith pick where Mike Brown overruled the coaches and made his favorite pick, which is exactly what he did with the Ross pick.

In the last 5 years Ross has had two backup years (208 yards and 371 yards), one year gone with injury, one really good year (1150 yards and 17 TDs, although against Pac-12 defenses) and one horrible year where he had zero catches, one fumble and hid an injury. He was also a healthy scratch for several games and he even posted videos of practice showing how he was ready to go but the coaches are just against him.

NFL defensive minds are pretty smart, and they are very good at adjusting to new wrinkles in offenses. They took away RGIII's best play and everyone found out that he's really only a backup QB after all, no matter what his college stats were.

Now it's not Ross's fault that he was picked #9. That mistake is squarely on Mike Brown, who made the call. But how Ross's season turned out was his own fault. Hiding the injury probably cost him some healthy games at the end of the season, but instead it never healed and he ended up on IR. 

On the other hand, AJ Green has never had a bad year. Not in college and not in the pros. He has missed games due to injury, but he always seems to still have the production other receivers would love to have.

I hope Ross does have a good season, but until he actually has one it's only unrealized potential. It's good that he worked with TJ. But now he has to actually go do it in games against real NFL defenders.

I understand you too Chris, nice post.

It is unfortunate how it has turned out but that pick could be a great one and we just do not know it yet.

In that Draft we could of traded back and grabbed Cam Robinson sure, but it didn't happen and i like Cordy
Glenn better anyways. Same with if we grabbed Elflein who ended up being the 32nd ranked Center last year
according to PFF. Bodine was ranked 25th BTW. I like Price MUCH better than Elflein for us from what i saw.

In the end it might of turned out for the better especially if John Ross, Cordy Glenn and Billy Price turn out
like i think they might.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: AJ says Ross is healthy and explosive again - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-05-2018, 01:55 PM