Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimum for HoF career..JJ Watt?
(05-15-2018, 06:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd put him in, but I don't think the people that vote would.

'12-'15 arguably the greatest 4 year run by a defensive player ever.  3 X Defensive POY, lead the league in sacks twice and finished second once, led the league in stuffs (tackles for loss on running plays) all four years, led all d-linemen in solo tackles all four years, led all D-linemen in total tackles twice and finished second twice.  15 forced fumbles over that span is second (by one).

I typically really value longevity when assessing the 'greats'.

Longer , sustained excellence and availability really differentiates players who whilst talented may have fit in one particular scheme or had a great supporting cast for a particular period of time.

if you do it for 10+ years you will have been great most likely whilst seeing multiple scheme, coaching, personnel changes .....heck , even the games changes in 10 years...e.g. Munoz was excellent when he came into the league facing 250lb DL and 10 years later whilst not as dominant he was still great when dealing with the new 280-300lb DL

BUT, I agree that Watts 4 year run was so ridiculously good that it should trump everything even if he never gets back to that level from here on in
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Minimum for HoF career..JJ Watt? - J24 - 05-15-2018, 06:29 PM
RE: Minimum for HoF career..JJ Watt? - J24 - 05-16-2018, 08:45 PM
RE: Minimum for HoF career..JJ Watt? - J24 - 05-20-2018, 02:00 PM
RE: Minimum for HoF career..JJ Watt? - sonofstat - 05-16-2018, 06:52 AM