Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It
I'm surprised to read something negative about the Steelers, especially from one of their own fanbase's media outlets, but they make it sound like Tomlin's just losing the locker room. He lets star players be late to practices or games or miss out on conditioning tests. He actually sounds worse than Marvin, but we haven't heard about it because it's typically considered unholy to condemn anything about the Steelers in the media.

Check this out:

Quote:Sadly, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin just doesn’t get it, and nor does his team captain. Former Steeler James Harrison recently suggested that as a means for improving the team’s discipline and its focus on football that all of its players, stars and backups alike, should be held equally to team standards.

Mike Tomlin said in reference to Deebo’s comments that “he’s entitled to his opinion” and the comments were “soap opera stuff” that reporters might consider but were apparently beneath his notice.

Even his responses seem like Marvin responses, just not saying much of anything and avoiding addressing anything with any substance.

Quote:In defending Tomlin regarding Harrison, team captain Cam Heyward, an All-Pro defensive lineman, said that anyone who feels slighted by unequal treatment should “work harder.”

In my opinion, the point that Deebo tried to make did not concern the effect of unequal treatment of those held to tougher standards. It’s the reverse.

Tomlin’s habitual and longstanding practice of making allowances and exceptions for his star players and core veterans has allowed them to expect being granted future allowances and to expect Mike’s continued indulgences with their missed practices, late arrivals to practice or games, disruptive or negative behaviors, social media stupidity, and seemingly weekly dramas that bleed the team’s focus away from upcoming games.

It’s gotten to the point that Tomlin’s favorites seem to assume that such behaviors are their right rather than evidence of their immaturity and selfishness. Mike’s excusing of multiple starters from running in this year’s training camp conditioning test was a perfect example. If the coach thinks the only point of a conditioning test is to test conditioning, he’s mistaken.

The Marine Corps also has a conditioning test for new recruits at boot camp, and no one is excused. The reason? Yes, they want to test conditioning, but they also aim to instill a team identity in 60-odd strangers from all 50 states and do it fast. So everyone suffers, and everyone knows it. The Marine Corps understands there’s no “I” in team, but Mike Tomlin apparently does not.

Tomlin’s team, therefore, has a lot of “I’s” and it’s shown not only through frequent past episodes of negative publicity and weekly dramas, but also – whether Mike and his favorites will admit it – in 10 years of failed team goals despite having rosters stuffed with stars and future Hall of Famers.

I have no doubt that Steelers Nation supports and appreciates Coach Tomlin, as do I. Nonetheless, fans can fault Mike’s team management and wish he’d change and yet still be fans of Mike Tomlin and the Steelers.

Has the team lost an identity? Can they reach where they want to be under Tomlin and playing with no team unity?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It - BFritz21 - 07-27-2018, 01:20 PM
RE: Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It - HarleyDog - 07-27-2018, 08:03 PM
RE: Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It - HarleyDog - 07-27-2018, 08:11 PM
RE: Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It - BFritz21 - 07-28-2018, 09:16 PM
RE: Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It - BFritz21 - 07-29-2018, 11:59 AM
RE: Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It - BFritz21 - 07-30-2018, 02:29 AM
RE: Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It - BFritz21 - 07-30-2018, 10:32 AM
RE: Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It - rfaulk34 - 07-29-2018, 09:01 PM
RE: Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It - BFritz21 - 07-29-2018, 09:15 PM
RE: Mike Tomlin Doesn't Get It - Go Cards - 08-05-2018, 01:49 PM