Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes a hotline just isn’t enough
Sad news for your wife and you. I've been through suicidal feelings since I was a kid, even tried to hang myself at around age 8 and the feelings didn't really relent until my 50s and even now I still think about it fairly regularly. I've had numerous attempts, luckily all failures.
The one thing I've found at least for myself is to wait. By that I mean to don't always take action just because you feel suicidal. Feeling it and acting on it are two completely different things. The feelings will usually subside over time if you do nothing. That's no guarantee of course because our lives are vastly different from each others and we all react differently. I really wish I could suggest therapy, but unfortunately I've never had success with any therapists nor shrinks, just locked into wards and basically ignored, some of them we horrible places I wouldn't send my worse enemies.
I'm thinking the best you can do is to be as supportive as possible and don't try to play armchair shrink like so many people like to do. Try to be as reassuring as you can, let her know she's loved unconditionally and take it day by day. 
You know how I cope with the feelings these days? Whenever I start feeling suicidal I remember how much worse it was in hospitals and then the people climbing up my back about how I was so willing to make them feel bad. I don't recall a single suicide attempt that made me feel one iota better. It's always had the exact opposite effect.  It almost always comes down to how you make other people feel with very little about how the suicidal person themself actually feels. People love to heap guilt on you. Try to avoid the guilt trip because it's not at all helpful. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sometimes a hotline just isn’t enough - grampahol - 02-27-2019, 11:57 PM