Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Would You Feel About Bengals Taking an OT in Round 1
(03-17-2019, 09:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Going off of what they have addressed in free agency thus far, it certainly would appear as if they might be planning to go OT or CB at the top of the draft.  More specifically, franchise LT of the future.  I say that because I can't imagine that they feel completely secure with Cordy Glenn, given his injury history and performance.  Even when healthy, Glenn looked decent but not dominating as a pass protector, and I would describe his run blocking as "fair to middling".  Additionally, they currently have two (2) offensive tackles on the roster, I believe that they typically carry four, or at least 3 and a player that can play G or T.

At CB, obviously the perceived lack of urgency in re-upping Dennard speaks rather loudly that either they don't think he's worth the type of money that he's looking for, or that they just plan on going a different direction.  Signing McRae and Webb are nice depth signings, but I feel like they still need a starting slot/nickel CB.  Unless they surprise, and make a signing soon, that leaves the draft.  I can't see them going CB at the top, as OT is (in my opinion) the bigger need, so I would say (barring any unforeseen trades) a CB taken in the 2nd or even 3rd round.

The so called news is they will resign Eifert Monday or Tuesday.  They have Kirk and WJ3 still at CB.  I see hope in BatesMotel.  I'm not as sold on Williams. To me it looked like Brees dropped back and looked for Wiiliams and threw the ball to whoever he was on, because Bress burned him just about every play. I think we missed IIoka.  So I could see Linebacker, Safety, Cornerback,  but with Ogbuhei and Fisher both gone, I could see an Offensive Tackle. Especially if there is such a run on quarterbacks that the best Tackle is still on the boards. There could be 4 QBs taken before Bengals draft at 11.  I think the plan on the guards signed is to keep them inside for blocking up the gut, or on pulling plays.  The Bengals and Fans have often thought of putting guards at tackle. Tackles at guard. Anybody at center.  It never produces play-off wins.  In the 70's and 80's we actually had Tackles, Guards, Centers and went to Super Bowls. 

Again, imagine Mixon or AJ Green, Boyd, Ross if we had blocking to let them really have big games.  In todays NFL touch football rules, you better be trying to put 50 points on the board, and it all starts up front with Blocking. No Blocking, No Points, No Wins.

Also, if there is a run on quarterbacks due to what rookie quarterbacks did last year, that doesn't mean who we get at #11 isn't a Top Player as good as any other year. In fact it means a good player who would go early most years has fallen to us at pick 11. We should get a Top 10 Pick at 11, and that pick could be the best Linebacker or the Best Tackle. I could see the best Tackle falling to us. If we don't grab him, he will be gone right after we pick. So I am against Trading Down because a Top Player is going to fall to 11. Some team ahead of us is going to reach for a player. Now the problem with the Best Linebackers are, I'm not seeing any interceptions. They are pass rushers, which we have. What we don't have is pass covering linebackers. Our linebackers are too slow and can't cover passes. The top names in the draft are not interception linebackers, they just aren't.

I will add that speed and guys that made interceptions in college at LB, CB, Safety do need to be added as the draft rolls along. The Bengals D has a bad case of the slows. They just don't cover the receivers, or make picks. We have been greatly missing Nelson and Hall and even IIoka. We never replaced them. We are missing Maualuga also, who was better at pass coverage than what we see lately. Problem is, these Top Linebackers in Draft are not pass cover guys. They are edge rush guys, which we already have. So again, I could see the Top Offensive Tackle.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Would You Feel About Bengals Taking an OT in Round 1 - kevin - 03-17-2019, 02:02 PM