Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Would You Feel About Bengals Taking an OT in Round 1
(03-18-2019, 02:00 AM)samhain Wrote: My thinking is that if they liked the tackles at the top of this draft, then they would not have signed a bad football player like Hart to starter money almost immediately in FA.  

I think they absolutely take a tackle to be a backup swing guy, but I believe it will be in 3 or later.  I'm thinking a Yodny Cajuste or David Edwards kind of player.
Whoever said Hart was an Offensive Tackle ?  Maybe some on this site.  He is a guard. He has always been a guard.  I don't think the signing of a couple guards helps at Tackle.  We aren't even sure how set we are at Left Tackle and Right Tackle is a huge question mark.  As it is, Defenses can beat the hell out of us on our Tackles and none of the playbook will work.  

I agree the Defense is bad, but the O line is bad also.  It could be the best player on the board at #11 is the Offensive Tackle from Florida.  Considering our weakness at Tackle, it would fill a needs area.  Against good teams our QB gets killed so our pass receivers are pointless, and we have no running game.  Good teams beat the heck out of our offense. 

I do not believe there is any plan to put Hart or the other guard brought in at Left Tackle or Right Tackle. I think Bengals are in for an awful losing season if they do. Worse than the last 3 years. However if they man up at Tackle and have these guards and centers, they could just have the much needed blocking.

Also, the linebacker suppose to go early people are talking about. No Interceptions. Tackles, Sacks, but No Interceptions. That doesn't help our problem at all. We have tackle and sack Linebackers but No Interceptions. We don't need another linebacker who can't pass cover, we are already loaded with linebackers who can't pass cover. Pass Cover linebackers are what we need, but I'm not seeing them in Round 1. Hopefully in the other rounds there are some.

Since teams are in the nickle 80% of the time anymore, perhaps we need more safety help. A safety the size of a linebacker who can pass cover would be as good as a pass cover linebacker, maybe better. If there is anybody in draft at Safety the size of 200 some pounds like a heavy weight boxer that can tackle and pass cover. Again, not seeing this person in Round 1, but doesn't mean there isn't one in a later round. Like that guy we had in 1988, Fulcher. If teams are going to be in the nickle 80% of the time, Fulcher types at DB that are also like LBs will become more and more needed. That may be the D answer to the rule changes helping QBs pass teams apart, but also burning D's with the run. More Safeties the size of LBs as Fulcher was in these Nickles that can cover these running backs and tight end pass routes, but also stuff the sneaky pete runs.

So IF they take the OT in 1, I think we can get nickle D players after 1. If teams are now in the nickle 80% of the time, that is our problem, because Marvin was old school and didn't have enough nickle players for today's NFL. Some DBs have to be as big as LB's if teams are going to always be in the nickle. A fast 200 pound DB would be a difference maker. Shoot for Fulcher like. Monsters like Tatum, Lott, Polamalu would be huge if teams are in nickle all game. Instead of LB/ DE tweeners, have LB / DB tweeners.

So the D players Bengals need aren't really there in 1. The OT out of Florida could be, and Bengals in great need of him. I really think Bengals can add much needed nickle D players after 1. Bengals already know they will have nickle D on field 80% of 2019. The coaches said so. That is just what the touch football rule changes are forcing.

I will mention 5 Nickle DB/ LB types to look for after round 1, that are listed 6 feet and 200 lbs and in most top 100 players. #1. Taylor Rapp, Washington. #2. Nasir Adderly, Delaware. #3. Juan Thornhill, Virginia. #4. Jonathan Abram, Mississippi State. #5 Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida. I think any of these 5 after round 1 would help our swiss cheese nickle we will be in 80 % of the time. The trick is to start filling these huge holes in our zone coverage because offenses are seeing and beating the wide open areas.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Would You Feel About Bengals Taking an OT in Round 1 - kevin - 03-18-2019, 04:00 AM