Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Would You Feel About Bengals Taking an OT in Round 1
(03-17-2019, 02:21 AM)kevin Wrote: I ask for several reason. Some NFL site mock drafts show a run on QB early.  Some show the best Offensive Tackles in the draft still on the boards.  The Bengals Free Agency has kept and brought in guards. Also kept LB and TE.  They have let Og and Fish go to other teams. Suddenly it looks like they could be setting up taking a good blocking tackle that can play right tackle or maybe even left tackle if injuries and such require it.  Keep in mind the #1 job of a team is Protect The Quarterback.  So, what are your thoughts if Bengals in Round 1 find every single Offensive Tackle is still on the board due to a run on QBs, WR's and such.  Bare in mind the Top Tackle often goes in the Top 5 or at least the Top 10.  Bengals at #11 could fill void left by Og and Fish going.  Your Thoughts ?  Some Mock Drafts show Bengals taking the Offensive Tackle from Florida Gators who is rated the best in the draft by some sites.

Also keep in mind better blocking might open better lanes for Mixon.  It might provide time to pass the ball down field.   Two things the Bengals seldom do against Top Ranked Super Bowl Play-Off Type Teams.  I'll also mention everybody raving about Rams coaches, but didn't Rams start turn around when they got Whitworth at Left Tackle to block a path for Rams offense. That sometimes the best defense is a good offense as you keep the other teams QB off the field.

The name coming up in some Mock Drafts is Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida, 6-5, 312 lbs, to Bengals as the first OT selected in the 2019 Draft.

Your Thoughts ?

My thoughts are the Bengals were weak at Tackle and are even weaker with Og and Fish gone.  It's not good to be weak at Offensive Tackle.  Those X's and O's on the drawing board all get blown up without blocking.  We've seen that.  Bengals against play-off type teams where every play in the playbook gets stuffed due to no blocking.  I've even seen Marvin forced to take Dalton out very early and concede games in 3rd quarter due to the QB and RB just getting killed in backfield.

Also remember Bengals once started a rebuild under new coaches with a guy named Anthony Munoz. He blocked Bengals to 2 Super Bowls. That draft had fans wanting other positions, but it's safe to say Munoz was a great pick. Suddenly the weak Bengals getting pushed around weren't getting pushed around any more and Ken Anderson who was being considered a bum ended up AFC MVP with some time to throw and run blocking.

Taylor has lots of issues and likely couldn't beat out Hart to start....He will be overdrafted based on "potential".

There are several DTs that are rare talents that I feel can make an immediate impact.  If Ed Oliver is there, the Bengals have to take him.  He immediately improves every level of the defense with his pass-rush ability.  Put him next to Geno on passing downs and get after the opposing QBs.  I am amazed that teams are poo-pooing him a bit (supposedly) due to a decrease in production this past year when opposing teams put as many as three guys on him.  

I like Devon White a ton as well, but I would rather have a DT and get the LB a bit later.  OT is a need, and they will likely address that position in the 2nd round with a RT candidate, but I don't see any OTs that could push Glenn out of a job.  I also don't see any that I feel could be the LT for the next 10 years.  Our offense was far from the problem last year.  They just need more depth to survive injuries.  

The defense can improve dramatically with a few additions at DT and LB.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Would You Feel About Bengals Taking an OT in Round 1 - SHRacerX - 03-19-2019, 09:26 AM