Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shocked and dismayed with "gay" remarks on this site
I joined this site some time ago in an effort to seek out and follow interesting and educated discussion about my favorite NFL team, the Bengals. While I don't have a great deal of time available to spend upon the site, I do try to take advantage of every opportunity that I have a few extra moments to browse and ready the topics and try to get better acquainted with the membership.

However, the past few weeks have been rather eye-opening and extremely disappointing for someone, such as myself, who was very excited to join this site. In looking through the different threads in the different forums, I started to notice a rather uncomfortable occurrence, and that was the use of derogatory homosexual slights and phrasing. This would often occur in the form of jokes, although not always, with the implication being that someone is acting in a homosexual manner or that something is of a homosexual variety.

I was rather disturbed to see not only the regularity in which this occurred, but also by the seemingly total lack of resistance that such behavior was met with. Even more alarming was that, not only does it seemed to be tolerated by the staff, but there are actually staff members who are the most blatant about doing it. This all left me rather bewildered and disheartened.

I am a homosexual. I am very proud and content with who I am, with my sexuality and with being open with talking about such issues. However, I am also someone who takes umbrage with the ease in which offensiveness, ignorance and lack of compassion are often condoned, or looked over, in public interactions or environments. I don't feel that I should have to be required to read offensive remarks and "jokes" that are derogatory toward homosexuals in order to be a member of this site; not because I myself am a homosexual, or that I'm offended personally, but because this form of crass and juvenile content has no place in a modern public exchange. What I find most offensive is that the staff not only allows such behavior, but participates in it. In my opinion, it undercuts any dignity this site and its membership wish to hold itself.

This is meant as a constructive criticism, even if it may seem rather harsh. I know said criticism will most like be met with responses such as: "they're only jokes" -- "they're not meant to offend" -- or "you need to lighten up." However, in condoning such behavior, the site itself is granting it's approval, whether tacit or implicit.

I hope this post will be taken in the context in which it was intended; as a well-intended critique and plea to examine the issue.

Messages In This Thread
Shocked and dismayed with "gay" remarks on this site - Lucidus - 04-04-2019, 07:41 PM