Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Is Five Years Behind College?!
(05-15-2019, 02:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: System in college does make a big difference in how quickly a player adjusts to the NFL. But every college player has a learning curve. College coaches can only work with players a few hours a week a few weeks a year. I'd guess that a full time NFL player spends more time working on football in one year than he does in 4 years of college.

Yep. I'm friends with some trainers that have trained college guys that go to the NFL. I'll see the player in college and he's big and strong. Then 2 years later after being in the Pros, he'll come back and he'll have gained like 10-20 lbs of muscle and lost fat and upped his lifts by insane numbers.

Any I ask the trainers how that happens. They basically say that in the Pros...that's all you do. You workout/you recover. In college, you have classes. Maybe not the best quality food in some cases. Parties. The trainers are limited on how much time they get with the players so they scale down the lifting program. (It's mainly presses, squats, deadlifts...then maybe another exercise or two for mobility.)

I think some guys get by on sheer freakish athleticism or strength in college too where they may just be superior. Maybe they don't have to learn technique as much. Then, they get to the Pros and they lose that edge.

I sometimes feel like Ross is adjusting to that in the Pros. He's still really fast and athletic, but so are the DB's and he has to get that mental edge. IF he can get that to click...I think he could take off.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL Is Five Years Behind College?! - THE PISTONS - 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM