Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do we make the switch at QB?
(09-23-2019, 12:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You guys know how I defend Dalton, but if we are eliminated we should see what we have in Finley.  Even if we are "mathematically" alive at 4-8 I'd start Finley over the final 4 games (unless the best team is 6-6 or worse)
My question is, "Why wait that long?" If he makes a difference, maybe he does it right off the start and we still might have a snowballs chance? Doesnt mean we're giving up on the season, just means we are trying something different.
Quote:Unless this defense and O-line makes huge improvements Dalton will have to play like a Pro Bowler to get another contract from the Bengals.  Even if he is playing well enough to start for another team that is just a QB away, we won't begin a complete re-build around a 34-year-old QB.  Plus paying a QB 20+ million makes it harder to fill other holes on the roster.  So we will be going with a Finley or a 2019 draft pick.  

Based on the history of the organization and it's loyalty to veteran players, I really would count out a Dalton re-sign even if we went 2-14. MB has made some un MB-like changes here lately, but do we really think he has it in him to move on?
Quote:It would be amazing for us if we were to have found a starter with a fourth round pick.  Again that allows us to use a high first round pick on another hole in the roster.

Ok, I'm about to throw out the Tom Brady BS on this one but hey, why not right? Tom was a 6th round pick and IMO is only as successful as the team has allowed him to be. As he will be considered one of the greatest of all time, he had a lot of disciplined players who were where they were supposed to be when he threw the ball. Brady and Dalton have similar traits. Neither is highly athletic and both will crumble when the pocket collapses and sometimes make bad decisions. But Dalton is not why I brought up Brady, just wanted to emphasize on the discipline and concentration around him. The Patriots locker room is unlike any other in the NFL and BB has a hold on it. But my point was going to be, if we throw a 4th round QB in there what's the difference as long as we function as a unit and play focused? Our team can be just as good if not better if the right coaching and player buy-ins are similar.
Quote:I am still hoping we can win something with Andy, AJ, Geno, Carlos, Dre K, and Gio, but it is looking less and less likely every week.

Your right. There is hope but the light is growing dim. I love watching Dalton and I have supported him as well. He is better than an avg QB right now. But we've seen some concerns in the first 3 games with some off late throws, tipped balls (yes I attribute some of that to the line as well) and no pocket instinct. If the balls not moving quickly, he struggles to survive and his out of pocket throws are not looking so great again. I thought he turned a corner on that last year but seems to have resurfaced.
As for AJ, Geno, Carlos and Gio, we owe these guys a playoff run (no mention of Dre K on purpose). Those mentioned have really worked hard for this team and they want victory.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: When do we make the switch at QB? - HarleyDog - 09-23-2019, 06:56 PM