Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The running game - what gives ?
(10-23-2019, 09:44 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001068689/article/frustrating-bengals-struggle-to-get-joe-mixon-going

Cincinnati averages 53.1 rush YPG and allows 189.0 rush YPG this season. The 135.9 rush YPG differential is the worst by any team in a season since the 1950 Baltimore Colts (-140.9).

It's so bad I have to question, is it really just that the Oline is that bad ? I mean I get it our starters are marginal at best. But don't other factors have to be contributing to the awfulness ?

Bad blocking technique ?

Are we tipping our run plays somehow ?

Are we to predictable ?

Do we need a fullback ?

Like Pistons has said we've fielded basically the same Oline as last season a lot of the time. It just seems to me there's more going on here than just how bad the players are.

I'd say yes, to each of those items.  And it's especially frustrating to see the defenses reacting instantly to our "personnel changes" from play to play.  They need to find a formation and personnel grouping that they can at least have a chance of running somewhat effectively from, and stay in it.

Some might say that staying in their best power formation will limit the passing game.  I say "so what"?  It's not like they're giving time enough for downfield routes to develop anyway, they can dink and dunk just as easily from 12 or 21 personnel as they can from 11.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The running game - what gives ? - J24 - 10-23-2019, 01:17 PM
RE: The running game - what gives ? - SunsetBengal - 10-24-2019, 08:56 AM